The Lilac Mannequin 2010-2016. Powered by Blogger.

Dress me, I'm your Mannequin!

I’m frequently asked about my style, my taste in fashion, who I’m wearing and most importantly what to wear this season. So what’s in fashion this Winter season and what will I be wearing?  Thought I'd reveal my fashion secrets this season including core items that take me from one season to the next....With a little help from my favourite fashionistas of course!  Yes, you can go out during winter and look amazing whilst remaining warm.. 
Leggings and Opaques
They are the core to all my outfits and they take me from day to night. Whilst I tend to stick with the typical black leggings this season I have found myself experimenting with different styles. The outrageous leggings have continued to grow from season to season. This includes, different washes, materials, colours and really big this season – embellishments like zippers and studs. Leggings and opaques can pretty much be worn with anything!
Rachel Zoe
Lauren Conrad
Olivia Palermo
Whitney Port
The 'Bootie'
This season it’s all about the short boot, also known as the ‘bootie.’ This is my favourite trend this season and trust me once you put them on your feet, you won't want to take them off! Wear a funky flat bootie with laces, a heel bootie or even a wedge bootie. Anything goes! Personally I say the higher the better! If you want to invest in one core item this season, it's the bootie. I just purchased a black high wedge bootie, and they go with everything!
Olivia Palermo
Taylor Momsen
 
Rachel Zoe
Trench Coat
Winter isn’t winter without a trench coat. Each season I add to my collection of trench coats, from the classic trench to the cute trench. However, thanks to Burberry’s amazing collection the trench coat has blossomed this season. Wear it button with a cute beret, leggings and a cute heel. Or for an edged up look wear it with a belt and some black leather booties.
Burberry
Leighton Meester
Olivia Palermo
The Little Black Jacket
Whilst trench coats are good for those oh so freezing days... an alternative this season is the little black jacket.  Personally, I've opted for something a little more daring and purchased a little black jacket with embellishments, studs and even shoulder pads.  If you fancy something a little more edgier, you can't go wrong with a little leather jacket. 
Lauren Conrad
Olivia Palermo
Whitney Port
The Cape Coat
I recently purchased one of these and not only is it so warm, but it's so fashion forward! The cape trend can be difficult as different body types should wear it in different ways.  The original flair cape is more suited to petite girls, whereas those with a more bustier shape should opt for a cape with a belt to excentuate the waist.   
Lo Bosworth
Leighton Meester
Mary-Kate Olsen
Lauren Conrad
The Nude and Black Pump
I love investing in the classics.  The items that are simple, cute, stylish and take you from one season to the next.  The classic nude or black pump are a must in all wardrobes.  The nude pump this season and next, is a huge trend evident from RAFW 2010..And well the higher the better!   
Lauren Conrad - Nude Pump
Olivia Palermo - Black Pump
Headpieces
Thanks to the one and only Gossip Girl, it's all about the pretty little headpieces/bands with bows and sequins.  Except some people have taken this trend a little too far!  Stay clear of anything floral especially during winter.  I believe it's best to keep it cute and minimal.  Alannah Hill sells some amazing headpieces which are a total must.   An essential for winter is a cute little beret or beanie.  Stick with a versatile cream (as seen by Rachel Bilson) or black, but if you want that little something different opt for a pastel like pink.   
Lauren Conrad
Leighton Meester
Rachel Bilson
Bags, Bags, Bags 
I have a motto.. Small, medium, large and a clutch!  The large bag.. for work and for study.  The medium bag.. which is pretty much your everyday/casual night out bag.  The small bag.. when you are out and need just those few essentials and lastly of course a going out bag, which is normally a cute fashionable clutch.
Prada
Dior
Jeans
Whilst I am usually not a jean person, jeans are a core essential as they are really versatile.  I say opt for a dark denim pair because you can dress them up or down and can be worn anytime.  If you feel like being a little fashion forward opt for a high rise pair as seen her by Lauren Conrad! 
Mary-Kate Olsen
Lauren Conrad
 Other Core Essentials
The Plain White Tee/Shirt/Silk Singlet - You can mix and match these with anything.
Ballet Flat - Not only are they comfy, they are cute and versatile.
Black Leather Patent Belt - The perfect must have accessory that can add that 'wow' factor to any outfit.
Pearls - These are the most feminine pieces of jewellery you could own and add that classic touch.
Scarf - A warm winter essential that I cannot live without.  Opt for versatile neutral tones as these go with everything.  However, sometimes I opt for ones with embellishments for that cute twist to an outfit.
Leather Gloves - Black leather gloves not only keep you warm, they are versatile and look classic and amazing.   If you feel like a twist try opting for a pair I just bought - cream leather with studs.